Saturday 26 November 2011

Learning Portuguese the way everyone else learns English

This week we got a new Portuguese teacher, which I was quite happy about (normal teacher rotation).  Our original teacher Adonis spoke excellent English.  He studied English Literature at University, spent time in the States, etc.  It was useful at the beginning when he was explaining grammar and stuff to us, but towards the end it was a bit annoying because he liked to talk (a lot) and he would often go off into an explanation or story about something to do with Brazil in English which was very interesting but not particularly useful for our oral Portuguese comprehension skills.

This week, our new teacher was Clarissa.  She speaks next to no English.  This was a little challenging at first, but it's helping me understand spoken Portuguese a hell of a lot better.  It's still difficult if she's teaching a new grammar rule or a new piece of vocabulary, because some things can't be explained easily - but then again, that's what dictionaries are for.

The other two English students in the class (my mother and another lady from Cambridge) are having more difficulty keeping up than the rest of us.  My mother complained that it was a big jump from someone who speaks excellent English to someone who speaks none.

However, as the rest of the students (all non-native English speakers) in the class pointed out, this is the way they learned English.  They didn't even have the first two weeks of someone speaking in their language to ease them in - they were straight in at the deep end.  This is how English is taught to foreigners when they come to English-speaking countries.  Basically, "we can't be bothered to speak your language, and if you want to learn ours, you're gonna have to do it the hard way".

Sounds harsh, but this approach works.  All the non-native English speakers in the school who have learnt English in an English-speaking country speak/read/write it quite well, because they had to.  They had to for economic reasons, they had to because their English teacher wouldn't cut them a break, and now they're learning another language.

I'm personally inclined not to complain.  And besides, the tough approach is doing me the world of good.

2 comments:

  1. Vixe, took you a lot since the last post, e então? after those almost 20 days, how's your Portuguese?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand and read a lot more, I'm not confused when I'm walking around SP reading road signs and menus and stuff, I can understand when people say simple, everyday things to me like "is it ok if I use the shower?". I'm not really talking in sentences yet, I'm speaking "pigeon" Portuguese but at least people understand me and I can communicate with people when I need to :)

    I'm carrying on with the class until Dec 23rd (another 4 weeks) - I reckon I should be relatively comfortable with talking simple sentences in real life situations by then.

    I'm in the process of finding a part-time Portuguese for foreigners course to do a couple of times a week, probably for at least another 6 months afterwards, maybe a year to make sure my Portuguese develops in a relatively structured fashion.

    So it's going ok so far!

    ReplyDelete