Wednesday 14 December 2011

Christmas lights in Sao Paulo

I was warned long before coming here that this city goes a bit doolally when it comes to christmas decorations, and I have not been disappointed.  So far, on Avenida Paulista, I have seen:

 
FIESP building

Probably a bank
I want to say HSBC...?
HUGE Christmas bridge over Av Paulista - apparently there's going to be a massive show. This is the first time, speaking as a Jew, that I've actually been *excited* about xmas.
Slightly spooky and quite beautiful LED display in Parque Trianon-MASP - this park is usually closed at night due to cruising.
Christmas tree in Parque Trianon-MASP
Itau Bank, which is in competition with the Jungle-themed bank. I think the jungle bank won, in my opinion.
The most interesting thing about the Christmas lights on Avenida Paulista are the crowds that come to view them every evening.  Most of the photos were taken on Monday evening.  There were thousands of people out and about late, around 9-10pm, with their families, taking pictures, walking around slowly and blocking the pavement (sidewalk, for any Americans reading this).  There was also a huge queue to get into the Christmas bridge.  I have no idea what's in there, but I intend on finding out, child or no child in tow.  My mother's small enough....maybe I can take her in...

Crowds outside Itau Bank

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I still think Christmas decorations look funny in warm weather, but I'm loving those blue lights!

    ReplyDelete